Describe a time when you ate something for the first time
You should say:
- What you ate
- When you ate it
- Where you were
- And how you felt about it
I would like to share the story about my first impression of tasting Tom Yum soup. You may have heard of this exceptional food. It’s actually a delicacy from Thailand.
I hadn’t heard of Tom Yum until I travelled to Bangkok, Thailand five years ago. Back then, I was highly recommended to taste this national specialty in an upmarket restaurant. I declined at first because I was not sure whether I could tolerate all spicy foods. Nevertheless, I changed my mind coz I checked it out on the Internet and found out that TomYum, or spicy shrimp soup, is number one of the top ten Thai dishes loved by foreigners. So I made up my mind to order one and give it a try.
Shortly afterwards, a dish was sent to my table. I took a small bite of it. Tasting its flavor, I found this dish was out-of-this-world. If you ask any foreigners who have ever visited Thailand about their favourite Thai food, their answer will be Tom Yum. And in fact, it is one of the most favourite dishes for Thai people as well. It is because this dish is simply so delicious for its unique sour and spicy taste that people will certainly consume it more and more if they try it just once.
This Thai food not only provides an amazing taste, but its herbal ingredients also include medicinal properties. Apart from that, it is full of nutrients from the shrimps and vegetables. You will see that the food not only makes you full but makes you healthy. These are important reasons why Tom Yum is regarded as the number one Thai dish.
- exceptional (adj) = unusually good ((tốt) khác thường)
- delicacy (n) = a type of food considered to be very special in a particular place (loại đồ ăn đặc biệt)
- an upmarket restaurant: nhà hàng sang trọng, cao cấp
- decline (sth) = refuse politely to accept or to do sth (từ chối)
- tolerate (a particular food) = be able to eat a particular food (có thể ăn một loại đồ ăn nào đó)
- make up my mind (idiom) = decide (quyết định)
- give sth a try: thử cái gì
- be out-of-this-world (idiom) = extremely good
- herbal ingredients: thành phần dược thảo
- medicinal properties: các đặc tính hữu ích cho việc chữa bệnh